Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is coming under fire for seemingly downplaying the significance of newly-released documents that prove the White House was alerted to the reality on the ground in Libya within hours of the September 11 attack in Benghazi.
As TheBlaze reported earlier this morning, Clinton began by saying that, more than a month after the administration did its best to convince the world four Americans were dead because of a spontaneous response to a YouTube video, no one wants to get to the bottom of the issue more than she does.
“The Independent Accountability Review Board is already hard at work looking at everything– not cherry picking, you know, one story here, or one document there, but looking at everything,” she said, releasing a smile and a small laugh as she continued, “which I highly recommend as the appropriate approach to something as complex as an attack like this.”
In response to the fact that they were informed Ansar al-Sharia took responsibility that day on social media sites, Clinton continued: “You know, posting something on Facebook is not, in and of itself, evidence. And I think it just underscores how fluid the reporting was at the time, and continued for some time to be. What I keep in mind is that four brave Americans were killed, and we will find out what happened, we will take whatever measures are necessary to fix anything that needs to be fixed, and we will bring those to justice who committed these murders.”
Here is a clip of Mrs. Clinton’s comments, via the Washington Free Beacon:
A number of conservative media outlets are criticizing the “cold” response, and Twitchy captured a number of related tweets in an article titled: “Ghastly: Clinton Laughs While Discussing #BenghaziGate, Downplays Emails, Lies.”
Commenters have primarily focused on the irony that the administration was fine blaming a YouTube video without (as far as we know) ample evidence, but laughs about an admission of guilt on Facebook. Moreover, they note, while it probably is wise not to act on a Facebook post, that combined with the live video and internal memos probably should have tipped them off that it wasn’t a spontaneous protest.
Here are some of the tweets:
(H/T: Washington Free Beacon)
- Emails: White House Told Two Hours After Benghazi Attack Began That Radical Islamic Group Claimed Responsibility
- ‘People Will Go to Prison’: Beck Breaks Down Obama’s ‘Lying’ on Libya in Fiery Segment
- Is Newly-Appointed Libya Investigator an Islamist Sympathizer With Ties to CAIR?
Read more stories from TheBlaze